Friday, January 31, 2014

New Year banquet Dumplings!

Monday, January 26th

Today we had a banquet to celebrate the end of our class and Chinese new year. We were instructed to make as much of whatever we could so that no surplus food was wasted. In order to do this I figured I would make dumplings....and so did half the class. So I thinly chopped two carrots lengthwise then sliced and quartered half a cucumber. After this I mixed them with a pound of ground pork. I left the pork to marinate in a little bit of soy sauce while I made the dough. It was at this point that I realized how much of a horse's ass I had been. When I went into the kitchen I could not find the all purpose flour, only wanton wraps and wheat flour. So I made wanton skinned and wheat dough dumplings, my mistake being that I used the wheat flour. The second mistake I made was choosing to pan fry the wheat flour dumplings. I had the heat way too high and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but typically when I don't know what I'm doing I'll wing it. That is what led to severely burnt dumplings. Thankfully I had enough sense to boil my wanton batch. The fried batch ended up having to be eaten like shellfish which was an experience in it's own. Especially the grease Sam and I got showered in. My wheat dumplings were more like grenades than delicious sustenance. Nonetheless this was a very valuable learning experience that I will not be forgetting any time soon. I a sense I was proud that I have become somewhat decent with and electric stove top.

No comments:

Post a Comment