Saturday, January 25, 2014

Fried Lotus root sandwich thing!

Thursday, January 23rd

Ingredients

>Lotus root
>Ginger
>Light soy sauce
>Corn Flour
>Ground Pork/Beef
>Cooking Wine
>Sugar
>Scallion
>Salt

Directions

>Cut scallion and ginger into short stalks
>Mix pork/beef with scallion and ginger
>Add salt, sugar, cooking wine, and light soy sauce then mix well
>Mix egg, corn flour, and clean water into paste
>Peel and slice lotus root a little thicker than a chip
>Wash lotus root several times then let air dry
>Place small amount of ground pork/beef on lotus slice then cover with another slice
>Bread and batter the sandwiches with egg-corn flour mix
>Pan fry lotus sandwich
>Sprinkle chopped scallion on sandwiches

I have had great experiences in this class, cooking and eating these sandwiches was not one of the better ones. I feel this is my fault because I cut the lotus roots much to thick. One good thing came from this experience though, I got to fry some weird plant sandwiches with a pretty girl so I'm golden. Also I fried a battered food for the first time today and I must say, it wasn't too shabby. I was not happy with the results, i feel that I ruined the dish by cutting the lotus root way too thick. If i were to make this again i would cut the lotus root thinner and season the sandwiches with more salt and garlic. This food is a popular snack food among lotus root harvesters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment